Friday, January 24, 2014

Dental disease

What are the two most common diseases of dogs & cats in the U.S.?

You guessed it: obesity & periodontal disease.

Neither of these seems immediately life threatening, but both contribute to ill health & decrease life span in dogs and cats, as well as people.

Most pets have some degree of periodontal disease. This occurs when the daily accumulation of plaque isn't removed, and hardens & forms calculus. Calculus & plaque cause the gum tissue to become inflamed & reactive. This inflammation of the area where the teeth & gums meets is called periodontitis.

Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss, dental abscesses, pain & bad breath.

Often with pets, we first notice the bad breath. Because they can't talk, they won't complain about a tooth ache or loose tooth. The teeth must be severely diseased before dental disease affects appetite. Dogs & cats just chew around the bad tooth. So, bad breath is often the first sign of problems.

Pets should have daily dental care & routine dental cleanings, just like we do. Brushing is ideal. Some pets accept this readily, but some do not. We can show you how to brush your pet's teeth, or how to use sprays & rinses when brushing is too difficult.

Routine dental cleanings in the pet do require a general anesthesia. Anesthesia is generally well tolerated, but risks should be discussed with you and your veterinarian. Your veterinarian can advise you when your pet is in need of a dental prophylaxis or extractions by means of a simple dental exam.

February is Pet Dental Health Month, so bring your pet to All-Pets today for a FREE dental exam. Call us at 515-262-8535 or 515-244-0447.

21 comments:

  1. Great article!. I think I found the blog I'm looking for my dog's health. My friend suggest me to read more articles about vets minster, but I found your blog. I learned a lot from your article and I will share it to my friends. Thank you so much for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i have found so many good stuff into this blog, really nice sharing.
    Find My Pet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just desired to let you know, I enjoyed this blog post. It had been funny. Carry on posting!
    John Garner Chicken Coops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping up with your pet's health is very important. Our dog was acting unusual and we couldn't figure out why. We took him in to get him checked and it was something wrong with his teeth. Strange to realize that a mouth infection can affect the rest of the body.
    http://mybalboavet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey to everyone, it’s my first visit of the blog site; this blog includes awesome and actually best info for the visitors. Serving Pittsburg CA

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in quest of various topics that are enough well-liked and lastly got your blog, it has outstanding topics with immense popularity. emotionalsupportanimalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do they really handle dental care in these pet hospitals? I just got a dog for Christmas and I have been trying to figure out where to take my dog for all the his health care needs. I am hoping that there is a one stop hospital or clinic that can take care of all his needs. It makes everything easier for me if I don't have to worry about driving all over the place. http://mybalboavet.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't consider that my dog could have dental problems. I knew that I had to get immunizations for her, but I didn't know that getting her teeth brushed was just an important. We just got her a few weeks ago and are starting to learn new things that we didnt expect.
    http://www.svg-vets.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for addressing the two biggest issues! I never realized that obesity was such a problem. Is this generally due to over-feeding or to laziness? Maybe a combination? I just want to make sure I take care of my dog to the best of my ability. http://myuniversitypethospital.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just been noticing my dogs teeth and there looks like there is something wrong with his teeth. I am a little worried about it so I am researching more about it. This blog was really helpful and informative. After reading this I need to take my dog in for a check up at the pet hospital. http://mybalboavet.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about..
    come ottenere denti bianchi

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic work, it is just to awesome love it Lost and found

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting post regarding the possible dental drawbacks for the pets like cat and dog.
    Hyattsville Dental

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way cool some valid points! I am grateful for you making this post on hand; the rest of this website is also first-class. Have a great fun.

    http://pethairvacuumguide.net/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This article is giving the superb clear motive; I really like that thing in articles. Thanks www.topsuperfoodsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I’ve been totally dependent of this site after reading this post; I don’t feel like good to go anywhere. pregnant dog

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad to see that people are actually writing about this issue in such a smart way, showing us all different sides to it. Thanks for sharing, please keep it up.

    Also checkout our happy new year 2017 Wishes new collections.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ultimate article post in this blog.Thanks for sharing these useful information.
    Gone are the days when a business laid down an annual sum to have its information listed in the Yellow Pages. These days it’s crucial for all businesses to instead prominently list themselves in online directories.AIR pros is a directory of service companies in your area with a geolocation system, automatic translation of the content.The site is optimized to facilitate the referencing of referenced companies.You can search for companies by department or city and look at their profile before contacting them.

    ReplyDelete