Monday, September 23, 2013

How long should I give my pet heartworm preventive?

How long should I give my dog heartworm or flea preventive?

At All-Pets, we recommend monthly parasite preventive. The exact type of preventive & duration of use should be discussed individually for your particular pet.

Here in Iowa, we usually can stop flea & tick preventive in November. Ticks are common early in the summer & fleas late in the summer. If you are fighting fleas or have seen fleas on your pets this fall, you should treat monthly all through the winter.

Heartworm preventives should be continued 6-8 weeks after the last hard frost, typically in Iowa no earlier than December 1. The medication works 6-8 weeks after the dog is bit by a heartworm carrying mosquito. Heartworm preventive can also be given year round---to help prevent intestinal parasites such as roundworms, hookworms & whipworms.

Cat also get parasites & should be on parasite prevention. Luckily these are readily available in a topical or chewable tablet for cats.

Call us if you have any questions about pet parasites! Preventive for dogs & cats are available at either of our locations (Second & Forest or East 6th & Walnut).

1 comment:

  1. For all dog owners, they need to know that their pet recommend a monthly parasite preventive. I love your blog because it taught me many different tips to avoid heartworm. I learned from your article that heartworm preventives should be continued 6-8 weeks after the last hard frost. I will share the knowledge I learned here to my friends and relatives. Surf more about: Free Pet Care

    ReplyDelete